13 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!
Buy-stream I Believe In Father Christmas (Matt Pop Mix) here (Bandcamp)
I love it when I get to write about Christmas music by an artist on the same day I've written about them in previous years. There is a serendipity to it that feels delightfully festive. In this case, it is rather splendid mixer/producer Matt Pop (who, six years ago today, helmed the Energise Family singing I Believe In You). He's keeping the belief going this year with his remix of Nottingham based group In Isolation. In a way, this is like the mythical (but actually happened) pairing of Stock Aitken Waterman and Judas Priest in the late 80s; a collaboration you wouldn't necessarily expect to happen but one that yields glorious musical fruits. In Isolation are a new wave inspired band who fuse punk and indie into their sound - and this year they have decided to tackle the Greg Lake classic, I Believe In Father Christmas...
The original take keeps all the bombastic nature of the original through a blend of synth riffs, electric guitar and a percussive groove as exhilarating as any sleigh ride. Ryan Swift delivers a compelling vocal that grabs your attention and clearly knows how to hold his own in such a stirring score. The original version should brighten any seasonal song selection, providing some alternative to the tried and tested mix of Mariah and Wham. Matt Pop throws the original track in the air, drapes it in Erasure-Depeche Mode like synth beats, Yazoo style chimes (only you, Matt!) and adds a perky beat has you declaring in fine vocal fettle that you too believe. It is an opulent wall of sound that swathes Ryan's voice with evocative instrumental glory. A right bobby dazzler of a mix (those instrumental moments are the icing on this already delicious mince pie).
**Ghosts of Christmas past**
- 12th December 2021 ~ Sarah Reeves, More The Merrier
- 12th December 2020 ~ Fleur East, You're Christmas To Me
- 12th December 2020 ~ Lee Mead, In My Arms For Christmas
- 12th December 2019 ~ Lisa McHugh, Home With A Heartbeat
- 12th December 2018 ~ Jane Sheldon, One For Mrs Claus
- 12th December 2017 ~ Marisha Wallace, Soul Holiday
- 12th December 2016 ~ Matt Pop & The Energise Family, I Believe In You
- 12th December 2016 ~ Katie Malco, Be Good At Christmas
- 12th December 2015 ~ The Overtones, A Good Ol Fashioned Christmas Party
- 12th December 2014 ~ Swear and Shake, Holiday Split
- 12th December 2013 ~ Tanner Patrick, Last Christmas
- 12th December 2012 ~ Vin Goodwin, A Very British Christmas 12th December 2011 ~ A Very Glee Christmas

No comments:
Post a Comment