Tuesday, 29 November 2022

Duncan Laurence - I Want It All


26 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!

Buy-stream I Want It All here (external link)

As it is one year to the day that I wrote about Duncan Laurence's Wishes Come True on this 60 day new music countdown to Christmas site, I am boldly co-opting his glorious new single as a festive song you can listen to all year round. I Want It All (co-written with fiance Jordan Garfield alongside Leroy Clampitt and Paul Phamous) is actually about finding love and then having that special someone stick with you through the bad times (not just when you are in the first throes of romance). True love is an adventure you battle through side by side to make it work and that is eloquently conveyed in this sweeping Queen-inspired track. I'm suggesting it works as a holiday single for two reasons - the lyrics could equally be a Dear Santa wish list, a lovers plea to the man with the bag who could make love, actually, be the best thing you get this holiday season. The second reason is that it feels like a wonderful throwback to the times in the 80-00s when artists would release their finest fare (including bombastic songs like this) to compete for the uniquely British triumph of being the Christmas number one. Opulent piano, choral accompaniment and a swelling crescendo at all the right emotional points are the hallmarks of a great British Christmas Number One - I'm marking this one an honorary entry in that canon as it has all that and more, thanks to that passionate vocal from Mr Laurence himself. Magnificent.

*Ghosts of Christmas Past*

No comments:

Post a Comment